Friday 24 June 2011

Sleeping - I think we've cracked it!

It's 7.20pm and for the first time ever I've put Charlie down to sleep with no feeding, no tears and no fuss!

Whilst I was breastfeeding he always used to fall asleep on me and I'd put him into his cot asleep. At first every time he woke up he needed a feed to go back to sleep. Then we introduced rocking him to sleep when he woke in the night. When I went back to work Daddy put him to bed two nights a week, and got him to sleep by rocking him in his arms. Then he started to sleep through the night.Then about a month ago he stopped breastfeeding - it was Charlie's choice. At that point I tried to rock him to sleep like Daddy and he wouldn't have any of it, so Daddy took over putting the boy to bed. Over the past week he's had less and less rocking time and we started to try controlled crying. Before I could always fall back on a feed, but now that's not available, we thought we'd try the crying method... and it worked! We didn't do it properly, we never left him longer then 15 minutes to cry, and if he just wasn't going to sleep Daddy would rock him or we'd let him stay up for a little bit until he got tired again. But over the last week we've spent less time rocking and actually put him in his cot awake and yes he cried but only for 10 minutes and then he fell asleep. Tonight Daddy is out, so I had to bite the bullet, I did our bedtime routine, then rocked/cuddled him against me for 5 minutes and put him down. He whined a little at first, then settled down and is now asleep.

I'm so happy, it's such an important step in my little man's life, it's taken 13 months, a lot of tears and zombie-tired parents but I'm so pleased we're finally there :)




Vote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...