Saturday 21 January 2012

The Art of Fielding

I've not yet finished this book but already have to blog about it, it's great.



By debut American author Chad Harbach, it follows the highs and lows of a small college baseball team. It falls into the category of books I love because they teach me about a topic I know nothing. You're drawn into the world of baseball through the eyes of Henry Skrimshader. He's a brilliant stortstop (I'm assuming this is the equivalent of the good old rounders backstop) and is destined for the major league, whilst the rest of his team are terrible. If it was just about baseball it wouldn't captivate me so much, but there's also a lovely literary strand around Herman Melville (the team are called the Harpooners) and also a homosexual love affair between the college president and one of the team. If you've not seen this book yet, go and check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...