Wednesday 26 September 2012

Making a house a home - one hour at a time

After I wrote this post holiday's blue post I realised that I could make a difference to my home a little at a time, it took me over a year to hang up the coat hooks? I'm not going to let that happen again. When I work from home  on a Friday it means I have an hour lunch break at home, in a quiet house, so I've started a mini project - making my house a home one hour a week.

So far I have concentrated on our little toilet. For over two years the smallest room in the house has been pretty dull, the white tiles and magnolia walls I can't change (our flat is rented) but I've done a few mini jobs over the last few weeks to help brighten it up:


I picked up this card a while back because we live in the area. They still have vintage car races once a year in the park and I really like that this is about where I live. The tower in the background (I think) is the one Logi Baird used for really early TV and it survived the fire that burnt down the Crystal Palace. It's no longer there now though. I put it in a simple white frame and it's hanging on a little strip of wall by the door frame.

 

These two prints are on the east wall, we bought them on holiday, and I actually bought frames and had them up a couple of weeks later, rather then let them sit around un-framed and un-loved for ages.

And finally:


 I know, slightly crazy posting a photo of the toilet roll holder, but I'm embarrassed to say it's taken over two years for us to put this up. It's mad how we got so used to resting it on the radiator, which to me, says all it needs to say about the difference between a house and a home!

4 comments:

  1. I like the philosophy of spending an hour a week making small changes. I need to do this too, taking things in bitesize chunks can make a task seem a lot less daunting and seeing some progress however small, is satisfying!

    I like your beach picture, it's so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, it's definitely worth doing - though my little flat is a lot smaller then your renovation project :) but always good to start somewhere. I have a much more interesting photo wall project to post about, just got to wait for the final parts to come into place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love those seaside prints! Any idea where they're from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Heather, nice to meet you! I got the prints from a seaside gift shop on the Isle of Wight, they were only £2.50 each! I suspect they sell them in most seaside towns as they were in quite a few gift shops on the IoW!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...