Saturday 26 February 2011

Reading again



OK, time to get some book reviews back into this blog. Since returning to work I've been reading like crazy! Lots of proof copies were waiting for me and with my 3 train commute I'm getting through them fast! Here are some thoughts on what I've read in the past month.

When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman
Quirky fiction about a brother and sister growing up in the 70s. Following their slightly crazy family as they move from the suburbs to Cornwall and then when they are grown up as world events hit them hard. I loved the easy to read writing style and some of the characters were fantastic - Jenny Penny in particular.
22 Britannia Road by Amanda Hodgkinson
A book that fits easily into wartime fiction. This looks at a Polish couple and their baby who are separated by the war and try to put their lives together again by moving to Britain. The 'twist' was pretty obvious, but a real easy read and you just wanted to find out exactly what happened in the woods.

Gillespie and I by Kate Harris
I loved loved loved this book, definitely the best I've read in a long long time. Dark and humorous, this brings to live 19th century Glasgow as seen though the eyes of English Harriet. I loved the fact that you're never sure whether to trust the narrator or not, some things just don't add up and when she's charged with murder... well you'd better read the book!

The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe
Again, another fantastic read. This was actually written by Rona in the 1958 and follows 4 girls working for a New York publisher. The 50s are brought to life and you really connect with the girls - sometimes I wanted to shout 'what are you doing' as they have to follow the conventions of the time. But I thoroughly recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...