Tuesday 3 May 2011

Running (with some walking)


This morning I went running for the first time in two years! I used to run 3-4 times a week, I'd get up early and go before work, running along the river to Battersea Park. I loved the time to think, the empty silence of the early morning and challenge of pressing myself onwards and beating past achievements.

My Pilates course finished a couple of weeks ago and I've decided to step up an exercise notch. I haven't done anything proper to shift the baby weight and with a year almost gone now is the time to do it!

So this morning I went for a run. Yes it was only 20 mins, yes my muscles screamed, my legs ached, my lungs felt like they were on fire, I walked as well as jogged and I could constantly feel the wobble of my saggy baby belly but I'm so happy that I've finally taken the plunge and got out there. If you've never run it's hard to describe, but those first moments as you set off are euphoric, you feel strong and capable and natural. I was worried I'd forgotten what to do (!) wouldn't find the right pace, stumble or not make it but as soon as I got out there it felt like I'd come home. Running was a part of my life and without realising it, I've missed it. I used to do a quite complicated warm-up (taught to me by my Sports-Science degree holding cousin) and was sure I wouldn't remember it all, but each stretch led onto the next and soon I was warmed up, relaxed and raring to go.

When life is so busy just being a Mum when else do you have time to listen to your favourite tunes rather then nursery rhymes, think - really think about stuff rather then half think whilst keeping an eye on what catasrophe the baby will get into next - I spent this morning planning the flavours of cupcakes for C's birthday parties (lemon, mocha, vanilla and chocolate), deciding what outfits we should wear for the parties (C- monkey shirt and jeans, M - summer dress) and whether I should vote Yes or No in Thursday's Referendum (still not decided).
Time is an issue and I'm not sure where I will fit this into my Mummyhood timetable, but having done it today I realise how important it is to keep going so will maybe sacrifice my one day a week weekend lie in to spend my me-time more productively. Let's just see how it goes...


Vote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...