Friday 12 November 2010

Things I Wish I'd Known Before Becoming a Mum


Becoming a Mum was such a step into the unknown! I read tons of books and signed up to loads of websites (netmums is my favourite) but when it actually happened and I had my little newborn in my arms, there were so many little things I wish I'd known beforehand.

The points below started as an email to pregnant friends but I've added some more to share and remember on here.

- Maternity pads - buy loads and loads, I bought 24 thinking that would be enough and at least doubled that, it wasn't until 4 weeks later that I stopped having to use them.

- Pack your bag for one night at the hospital, but also pack another and leave in the car with loads more nappies, sleep suits and nighties for you. I had to stay 3 days and didn't bring enough with me.

- Sleep suits (the ones with full legs, feet and long arms) Charlie is living in these at the mo (1 month old) as it's too cold for vests. We had 8 and it's not quite enough, so get loads of them. They are easy to change plus keep him warm and comfy. Anything that has to go over the head is much harder to change into at 3am!

- Nappies - even if you're using reusable ones, disposables are best for the first few weeks (my reusable ones say they are from birth upwards but are absolutely massive on him at the mo), disposables are quick and easy to use so get at least 4 or 5 packs. He's 6 months now and I still dislike the reusable ones, they are just so bulky! If I was doing this again I really wouldn't go for them, I know the disposables are bad for the environment but they are so much thinner and don't restrict him. Maybe when he starts walking we can use the reusable ones more, but when he's lying on his back, he hates having his bum up in the air!

- Bath foam support from Mothercare - a godsend, you put it in the baby bath and place baby on it, you then have 2 hands to use instead of one as baby is supported. You won't need to bathe him until the belly button cord drops off, so this can wait a couple of weeks. And now he's 6 months and in the big bath, the foam makes a nice stable seat for him to sit on.

- Chilled cabbage leaves in your bra after feeding got me through the first week, also keep your nipples out in the air for as long as pos and have plenty of baths with warm flannels on them. Breastfeeding shouldn't hurt but that first week was a nightmare for me. Also the midwife showed me a new position to use when it was too sore to continue the way I was shown in the hospital

- Paracetamol, make sure you're well stocked, I used loads in the first couple of weeks

- It's ok to put the baby down! Sometimes I would be holding Charlie for ages, playing and entertaining him and he'd get grumpier and grumpier. Really all he wanted was to play on the play mat but it took me ages to figure this out.

- Make Mummy Friends - I was the first of my friends to have a baby so had no-one to talk to about the little (and big) things. It's so easy to make friends as a Mum, nearly everyone is in the same boat and as long as you are friendly to them, it's easy to link up. I got friends through our NCT antenatal classes, the Netmums meet a mum page, nursery rhyme sessions at our library, the NCT follow up tea and through other Mummy friends. Having someone to meet up with and an activity to do every day makes the day so much more enjoyable and baby loves meeting with other babies.

- Mix with other age babies - it is great to see older babies for how your baby will develop, babies the same age to compare notes with (!) and younger babies to remember how small your little one was.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! thank you for coming by and your lovely comment. Ooooo what a beautiful baby! I wish blogger would have been around when my children were born, how lucky to be able to journal about them this way! I think your right about not knowing all these things, but this is parenting, it's defintely a learn by process (which i'm still doing 30 years later!).
    enjoy your precious one ♥
    (love your book list)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...