Sunday 11 November 2012

A weekend with my boy - day one potty training

I wrote this 3 weeks ago but didn't get a chance to post! It's quite rambly but sums up our first day of potty training, more to come!

Tom went to a stag do this weekend (in Norfolk involving laser tag in a forest and a  dodgy Norwich club) so Charlie and I stayed home alone.

I had lots of fun activities for us, with a lot of indoor play as we were embarking on the dreaded potty training, dum dum dum! But actually it wasn't that bad, we're a long way off being perfect but by the end if Sunday little man was nearly there. In preparation I had:

- One green potty (handed down from his older cousins)
- 8 pairs of little boy pants - so cute and small (I bought a 3 pack in a gap sale and Nana got Thomas the Tank ones)
- Botty wipes - not sure why these differ from baby wipes except they're a little smaller
- Boys' Potty Time book, I looked at the full range at my work and decided this was the nicest (it also came with reward stickers)
- Reward stickers, I picked these up on Sainsbury's having forgotten that the book came with some (these have been stowed away until needed)
- Reward chart - I made this the night before with C's wax crayons, I drew a train because at the moment trains will motivate him to do anything!
- Potty Time app, I downloaded this at the last minute, it's free, pretty annoying but turned out to be a lifesaver.



So on Friday night after his bath we snuggled up on the sofa and read the potty book, this was a big hit I must have read it at least 5 times and I explained that in the morning he'd wear big boy pants just like the boys in the book.

Once C was in bed I put the potty and wipes in the bathroom and drew the reward chart. I blu-tacked this at potty level on the bathroom door. I then had last minute deliberations and downloaded a free potty training app, there were a few to choose from and I went for the v. chirpy Potty Time.

In the morning he didn't want to go anywhere near the potty so I got myself ready whilst he played with his trains in his night time nappy. We then got him dressed in the bathroom rather then his bedroom (I thought it would be a good mental step for him if we changed the routine) and although he sat on the potty he didn't need to go. He had lots of fun choosing which Thomas pants to wear (blue Thomas) and he loved the Potty Time song on the app.

We had breakfast and he peed on the floor... I explained about accidents and that he had to tell me or run to the potty when he needed to go. He replied with "no potty mummy" #sigh. I got him changed, he chose James pants, and we skyped my parents. After the call he peed all over my lap just as I was asking if he needed to go on the potty... I'd read that you shouldn't immediately get him changed, so he has time to realise it's uncomfy, so I sprayed the floor with a water/dettol mix and got changed myself. By that time he wanted to get changed so I sat him on the potty and took off the wet clothes, I then remembered about Rachel. Calls to Rachel are what make this app so great, yes its v over the top, but C loved it. Rachel 'rang' my phone, C answered it and she gave him an upbeat message about accidents. C then had a wee on the potty by himself. Yes it was small, but I was sooo happy, we phoned Rachel for congratulations and he chose a sticker from the reward sheet.

Credit


Then it was time for activity number one, we mixed shaving foam with red and yellow paint, added glitter and pressed sheets of paper onto the foam to make leaf patterns. C enjoyed mixing the foam and loved peeling the paper away.


We then had accident no.3 but this led to success as he sat on the potty and finished up there. He was really proud, loved listening to the potty time song and choosing a sticker. I decided fresh air was needed so we put on a pull up, packed the potette and went to the park. Here we collected leaves to use as templates for our paintings and walked to the shop on the other side. As a treat we got the train one stop back home. Although I'd asked if he needed the potty he'd kept declining and as suspected had a wet pull up. We put on New pants (Percy) and I made a quick lunch.

After lunch we had a success in the potty, put on a pull up ready for naptime and read the potty book. I carved the pumpkin whilst he slept (cat-o-lantern) and fried the seeds with salt and pepper for a yummy snack. When C woke  we switched to pants, had a small accident and a big stress out about using the potty. We read the book again and ate pumpkin seeds (C mainly sucked off the salt and pepper). Then we decorated gingerbread men to take on a playdate the following day. I love the Sainsbury's decorating kit, if I don't have time to bake biscuits, this is perfect for a quick toddler activity.

I tried to set up a mini photo session of the boy in his Halloween costume next to the pumpkin but he wasn't having any of it.



Just before tea he used the potty on my insistence and was pleased that he did it himself. After tea it was time for bath, beebies, stories and bed. He was happy to go back into a nappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...