Tuesday 22 November 2011

A Night in at The Night Circus

I feel I'm a bit behind on blogging about books, but this one has been worth the wait!


In 1886 a mysterious travelling circus becomes an international sensation. Open only at night, constructed entirely in black and white, Le Cirque des Reves delights all who wander its circular paths. There are contortionists, performing cats, carousels and illusionists - but this is no conventional spectacle. Some tents contain clouds, some ice. And who is the sinister man in the grey suit who watches over it all? Behind the scenes a dangerous game is being played out by two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who, at the behest of their masters, are forced to test the very limits of the imagination - and of love...

The Night Circus is an enchanting, beautiful, magical story similar to The Time Traveler's Wife and Jonathan Strange. It's essentially a love story between Celia and Marco. They're trapped together in a dangerous, magical game, which becomes more intricate and beautiful as their relationship becomes more intense. As with all great novels it's the little details that really make the book, the twins, the amazing things in each circus room and the contortionist all help make this novel one of my favourites of the year.

Read it, enjoy it, love it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, we really do like the same books. I blogged about a month ago that I wanted to put this on my Christmas list! I'll definitely be asking for it now. Your review makes me think of Holy Fools by Joanne Harris. That has a circus element mixed with some nuns too, and a dark intriguing male character. I really enjoyed it.

    I've tagged you with an award by the way, the 'Tell Me About Yourself Award'. No pressure if you don't fancy it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...