Wednesday 8 August 2012

Post holiday blues

Having a week away and spending time with my boys was brilliant, really cleared away the cobwebs and gave me time to relax. But now I'm back to what's turning into a rather hellish week at work and it's putting things into context, I know it's usual to get a case of the post holiday blues but I'm really struggling at the moment.

The answer to everything seems to be time or my lack of it. Being a full time working Mum is tough and I find it even tougher because I spend 3 hours a day commuting. My boss points out that I chose to live so far away but that's not a solution. I chose to move when I was 7 months pregnant because we needed a bigger flat and couldn't afford to stay in Battersea. We chose to move south eastwards to be closer to my in-laws which in terms of family life works well. I also thought my commute would be quicker then it is because a lot if the time is clocked up waiting for the trains. However hope is on the horizon as in the autumn we're moving offices to Piccadilly and I should save about an hour a day! But right now autumn seems a long way away and it's hard to get up at 5am after a week away.

On the Sunday after we came home T took C-bear to the park for a couple of hours and I got tons done. I sorted out my wardrobe, something I haven't done for a couple of years - I still had maternity clothes mixed in with the rest! I tackled the shelves of hell in our bedroom - these house hubs' aftershaves (he has a lot) and cufflinks, my 2nd (never used) jewellery box and spare toiletries plus a load of other bits and pieces which don't have homes elsewhere. Without too much detail they were horrendous, covered in mould, dust and cobwebs. That corner of our bedroom hardly gets touched as I never have the time to clean it and it's least priority as no-one sees it apart from us. I also charged the power drill and made Thai chicken noodles for lunch. Whilst C was tucking in I tackled the coat hooks. These fell off the wall at least a year ago. I polyfilled the old holes, drilled new ones and even used rawl plugs, it was a job that only took 10 minutes but the sense of achievement was immense. Which is so frustrating, why was it that I needed a holiday to tackle a 10 min job which has been bugging me for over a year? It's the same answer as cleaning the shelves of hell, I manage as a working mama but only keeping on top of the important things like laundry, meals and spending time with my son, after that, when I have an odd hour here and there I'm so exhauated I use it to relax, watch tv or blog.

So what have I learnt? That holidays for me are even more special as I take a break from juggling full time work, marriage and motherhood to become a full time wife and mother, and it's the energy I get from this which keeps me buoyant for the rest of the year. With hubs having no holiday days left for a mini break all I can say is roll on Christmas, there's a whole list of DIY things to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...